Wednesday 8 February 2012

Out & About at MOMA

Washerwomen by Gauguin
I’ve tried to get into MOMA before.  On the first occasion it was closed due to a changing exhibition and on the second, an exhibition was about to open.  Crowds spilled out onto the footpath and I slunk away not wishing to fight off the masses to see those tempting treasures within. 

So, when I finally made it past the front door, I didn’t rush and happily browsed old masters (like Matisse and Odilon Redon) and new works alike. 

For once though, I didn’t take notes, just enjoyed being there, letting it wash over me; taking it all in - a lot to see and do and in only one day. 
Symbolist, Odilon Redon
I did take a few photos but missed getting a few from Boris Mikhailov in the Case History exhibition.  I thought his work, almost larger-than-life, was particularly stunning.  Graphic though.  I felt at times to be too exposed as the viewer.  I wanted to peek through my fingers to somehow escape his world.
 
I also found the contemporary drawing exhibition, I Am Still Alive, to be oddly compelling but it too wasn’t textile related. I did like the basic concept however that linked art and writing, then twisted it DNA fashion to give it a new character. 

Finally, I found paintings with textile references which inspired me.  Firstly this one by Romare Bearden (1911-1988) entitled Patchwork Quilt (1970).  The background is collaged fabric and there is a certain pharaonic feel about the piece. Love it!

Patchwork Quilt by Romare Beardon
Then Robert Rauschenberg’s (1925-2008) not so cosy, quilt covered Bed (1955) took my eye. 

The texture on this sculpture below put me in mind of some embroidery I had seen once.  Nice big stitches, a bit of discharge dyeing and a few exposed seams.  Back to the drawing board for me then!

 Finally, a fantastic Matisse to learn a lot about using colour with zing.  Wandering a gallery can be such an inspiring thing!  I always leave full of great ideas and new techniques to try or apply to my quilting.  So I highly recommend a visit.