Friday 17 February 2012

New York = Shopping

Quilt (or Guilt) Tripping No#3

Looking for quilting shops in NYC?  Then don’t go past these offerings. 

CityQuilter is my favourite and what’s more its new gallery opened on 5th April 2011 as a textile art (contemporary art quilts) just next door.  On the day I visited I was lucky to have caught the fabulous work of Japanese artist, Noriko Endo.  Her exhibition entitled “ImpressionistQuilts” describes intricate fabric placement and subtle colour treatment.  Noriko works in what has been described as fabric confetti – a challenging way of working and rather radical if you think about the way we traditionally piece.  Needle and thread out the door!  Templates to the four corners of my earth!  Now where’s that glue gun?  Silliness aside, well done to City Quilter and here’s wishing the Gallery a long and bright future. 


While there, I added to my stash of NYC prints (as one must) and now the product of my purchase is under Bertie Bernina getting a good all over quilt.  Photos eventually – work progresses slowly.  Four bobbins a day, for 2 solid days of work and only a ¼ of the way done….

Purl Soho.  Purl brings new meaning to the word haberdashery.  This little store is jam packed with modern, fresh fabric designs and loads of bright colourful yarns and sewing accessories.  Their web site is as bright and upmarket as the shop.  The ladies are especially helpful and I found a great George Washington print to add to my NYC collection.

SewMaterialistic, Brooklyn.  I didn’t visit unfortunately so I can’t recommend this store first-hand.  However, I was told it was worth making an effort and is in easy reach.  Just gotta make it over that bridge.  Well, maybe on my next visit?  Meanwhile, there’s always the internet to ogle at their fabric range…