Thursday 5 January 2012

Visionary if not a little bit Mystic

I had the opportunity to spend a few hours in Baltimore’s Visionary Art Museum in June last year.  So, what did I see?  Well, to start with, Visionary Art is not Folk Art.  It can be created by trained or self-taught (outsider) artists but the commonality is that their work is created from an “innate personal vision”.  Outsider artists work outside the mainstream and may not even consider their own work as art.

I first encountered outsider art when I visited AFAM (West 53 – sadly there no more) in 2010 to specifically see the Quilts: Masterworks on show.  The work of Henry Darger (1892-1973) drew me in – as did his description as an outsider artist.  I found his work compelling, definitely dark and disturbing.  So it was interesting to think about this exhibition in contrast to the wild, colourful sci-fi work of Eugene Von Bruenchenhein, also an outsider artist.  

The museum was full of wild, inventive, colourful and unrestrained art works.  I loved it all.  I also thought how freeing it was to have my understanding of the definition of “artist” teased and provoked. 

So, just in case you thought I was missing the textile point of this blog, I came across the wacky works of Chris Roberts-Antieau made of everyday textiles no less!  Needless to say, no photos allowed to be taken in the Museum so I can only direct you to a web site or two of her artworks that will really make you smile (Also the name of the exhibition!).  Being a dog (and cat) lover I readily identified with many of her unique applique creations – such joy, such candid commentary on etiquette and customs of our everyday life. 

Visiting the Visionary Art Museum was an enlightening experience.  It taught me that anything is possible; art is not necessarily a prerogative of the rich and/or famous (although I guess that helps if want to make a living from your creative spirit) and that we all have to start somewhere, even if that’s simply believing in yourself.
Chris Roberts-Antieau's "Bad Dog" but don't you just want to scratch his naughty little tummy?

(Ed Update: AFAM is alive and well and located at 2 Lincoln Square Columbus Avenue at West 66th Street NYC.  Enjoy!)