Wednesday 4 May 2011

Washington: Textile Museum

No photos allowed in the Textile Museum
I seem destined to pick either “closed” days or times mid-prep for the next exhibition.  Damn unlucky, I say!  Therefore I was hardly surprised to collect both awards at the Textile Museum in Washington DC. 

When I did eventually get a foot in the front door, I was able to see at least, Indian tent hangings, William Morris upholstery linens, Chinese embroideries and American Indian weavings (rugs).  I spent most of my time exploring their excellent research area where I was able to give some thought to:
  • What gives each textile its own look and personality?
  • How are these textiles made?
  • What are the influences on the maker?
  • What can this textile teach us? 
Although meant essentially as a framework to support organised research into world textiles, this context could well be useful for any artist interested in exploring their own motivations, technique and artistic direction.

Luckily, I caught a glimpse of 10 fabulous Ikat coats, part of an upcoming exhibition. Ten has to be better than nothing; and certainly not bad for a spur of the moment visit.  Can I live in Washington??

These are a few tempting examples from exhibition books and mags available from the Museum Shop

(Just as an aside, and because I quite like historic homes, the Textile Museum is located in the 1908 home of George Hewitt Myers, a renowned rug and textile collector.  The house is built in the Colonial Revival style – now weren’t we just considering that….)