Saturday 23 April 2011

Washington: Art & Museums

Washington is awash with museums and it was a difficult choice to make (other than the Textile Museum of course!).  And whilst the lure of the famous Smithsonian was terribly strong, I jumped in at the Women in the Arts Museum. 

I am pleased to say that an artwork by Emily Kingwarree (1916-1996) is in the collection.  Her painting “Yam Story” is inspirational; strong, bright brushstrokes sing over a dark background.  Nearby works by LC Armstrong “Blue Shift” and Valerie Javdon “Ace in the Hole” gave me great ideas and I wanted to start sketching immediately.  A classic sculpture by Barbara Hepworth made me appreciate her talent. The main exhibit was by talented Elisabetta Gut.  She presented 22 Artist Books all focused on recording dreams and memories.  She used symbolism, purposeful signs and engaging metaphors to manipulate her medium of books.  She collaged, constructed book objects (cut-outs etc.) and drew poems that captured, to my mind anyway, the intrinsic qualities of fleeting dreams and vague personal memories.

Textile Art in the Renwick Gallery
The next gallery I visited was the Renwick Gallery with exhibitions of Gaman (Japanese WW2 ephemera) and Timber.  Some of the timber pieces were stunning and I often found myself wondering if indeed they were actually timber, such was their grace and beauty.

Gaman was an exhibit of items created by Japanese (even American born Japanese) during their internment during WW2.  The works were beautiful given what little they had and showed the detainees resourcefulness, even in times of great sorrow.  The piece I could not take my eyes off was a small sleeveless white silk vest.  It had red thread sashiko, a painted tiger on the back and 5 buttons.  

Called “Senninbari”, thousand person stitches, this vest had been knotted by separate individuals to bring good luck, good fortune and long life to its wearer.  The tiger motif symbolised courage.  This vest of a thousand knots was often worn into battle.  In some cases, senninbari could also be a scarf or a sash.  Textiles as charms, full of meaning and ritual.

(Photo from Review)