Friday 21 June 2019

Take the Road Less Travelled: Cats & Romans

Montenegro
26th July 2015

Warning...  This post has nothing to do with textiles.  But I had such a fun day in Kotor!!

While the lads set off on a very hot day to climb the heights of Kotor’s fortified perimeter, I slunk off to shadier streets of the old town to find the Cat Museum.  I don’t know what I was expecting but it turned out to be a quirky and surprising collection of cat related memorabilia with a soft-hearted (cat loving) owner and staff.  One should put cat/dog prejudices aside and enjoy this curious collection for what it is – a satisfying glimpse of history through a body of work we might never have otherwise seen or even considered. To me, this is what makes us human (& humane).  

View from above Kotor

Across from the Cat Museum and located off a delightfully quiet square, is the Lapidary Museum.  Of course to me, lapidary means rocks & gems, in which I have little interest, but I was intrigued by the little church and went in anyway.  What a great decision.  

The building turned out to be the church of St Mikhail; a very historic 13th c Gothic shell built over a 7th c Benedictine Monastery and more.  Following an earthquake in 1979, its underground treasures were “released” from under its floors and now the Museum is loaded with frescoes, stone carvings and relics dating back to early-history and Roman times.  

I know this because the most engaging lady at the front desk took the time and trouble to point out items of significance and interest.  How nice is that?

Narrow streets, too narrow for most vehicles...

By the way, in Roman times until 1918, Kotor was known as Cattaro ; )  Miaow!