Thursday 10 March 2011

Almost a brush with fame

Since becoming a slave to marina book exchanges, my reading matter has grown to cover all manner of subject.  Let me tell you how popular Clive Cussler is!  And did I mention that Dirk Pitt is hot on the trail of all those nasty types? Yes, yes, I’m a NUMA junkie….   It started with my addiction to Sea Hunt.  Remember that 1960’s TV show with Lloyd Bridges as famous hunk, Mike (blub, blub and then I saw it..) Nelson. 

So it was with some surprise that we came upon the USS Deep Quest in a marina berth located in downtown Stirling Harbor. Dressed for action in basic black, accessorised with Jet Ski and menacing machine gun, this mini-sub looked just perfect for a starring role in the next Cussler thriller. The only thing lacking was a jaunty Dirk Pitt leaning on an outrageously expensive car. Well, maybe next time!
The marina is also home to the cutest little tug.  He’s actually a working lad; not a thrill or a pleasure seeker.  But I swear I saw him in a Disney movie once!  The Cap’n thinks I’ve been doing way too much reading lately!

A Sailor's Lounge book exchange is a wonderful thing.  I've discovered so many interesting authors that I would have otherwise not known about or ignored.  Orhan Pamuk is an example - I found his novel "Red" in our boatyard laundry in Trinidad.  A similar book exchange concept here in my own neighbourhood is a "Street Library".  It's all such a great way to encourage reading and neighbourliness..  Don't we all need a little trust and kindness?